Monday, January 21, 2008

The B Book

I've been having a full-circle moment every night for the past few weeks when Lia says... "B-Book, Mommy". When she says this I have two copies to reach for... one with a little sticker on it that reads "This book belongs to Brendon Petty" and the other with my WHOLE name written in the front flap. It seems like she gets her love of the B Book from both parents.


And so each night for a few weeks I have started... Big, Brown...

I can almost hear my Mother's voice reading it to me. I wonder how many times I begged my Dad to read it just one more time. And I am so thankful. Thankful for a love of reading, for the chance to sit and read this book to a snuggled up, clean-smelling ball of jammies and crazy hair of my own.
I hope someday she asks me and I will recite the whole thing by heart like my mother does. My Mother says that I almost wore the pages out of that book and it looks like if there is any life left in them that Lia will finish the job.

But I'm glad to read it a thousand more times for the smile at the end (and sometimes a little giggle if I get the delivery just right) when it says, "and that's what broke .... baby bird's balloon!"

What books do you love reading to your babies? or what did you wear the pages out of as a kid?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, glad I found your blog.. Great post!!!!

Hubby and I are adopting from China and each month on the 23rd we buy a book for our daughters library..
Ill be back to see if you talk about others


adoption blog www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

a book called NO BATH TONIGHT. i don't remember the author but i know my mom still has that book. i loooovved it! i think i lived by that title for awhile in college:)

vpresley said...

This made me cry. All I can say is... get ready for how you'll feel when they start reading it to YOU! Laura Grace is picking one Dr. Seuss a night and reading them for herself for the first time. The joy of reading truly is modeled - and she adores it! Hope tries to read, too, but it's mostly just memorized. Thanks, Mother and Daddy, for passing along that love. We promise to keep it goin'! Right, SIS?!
Love you! Love you, too, Lia!
PROUD Auntie V